Recipe: Greek salads with homemade feta
The summer season is approaching with great sunshine, invigorating us!
What better way to welcome the warm weather than a Greek-style salad with homemade feta cheese?
Here are some tips for making succulent Greek-style salads!
For a traditional Greek salad, the base is simple and brings together a few ingredients:
for 4 to 6 people
- a cucumber cut into large cubes
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes, roughly diced
- 1/2 onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of olives (preferably kalamata)
- 150g of homemade feta , cut into large dice or large pieces by hand.
- a little fresh oregano
- quality extra virgin olive oil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste (take into consideration the saltiness of the feta cheese)
For a reinvented and heartier Greek-style salad, keep the base of the traditional salad and add:
- two handfuls of baby spinach or lettuce
- 2 beets, cooked, then cut into pieces
- a handful of chopped walnuts
- some raw and shelled sunflower seeds
- orange wedges
- fresh coriander
In a large bowl add all the ingredients, then the salt and olive oil. Mix and serve as an accompaniment or as a main course according to the mood of the moment!
We encourage you to use your creativity. If you want to change some ingredients for others, don't hesitate!
Also, the simple combination of quality olive oil, salt (and the saltiness of the cheese) and fresh herbs will result in a very satisfying taste without the need for added dressing.
Feel free to cut the feta cheese into large chunks by hand. As a Greek so aptly told us when he taught us how to prepare a traditional salad:
"Greek salad is like life. Sometimes you're lucky and you get a big piece of cheese, sometimes you don't."
Feta cheese tastes even better when it's lovingly made at home. For more information on our Feta Cheese and Greek Yogurt Making Kit, click here .
Enjoy your food !
U MAIN, much more than kits for making cheese at home
Back to Recipes and tips | U MAIN Kits blog